The Alms Move to North Dakota
The map of Freeborn township shows Hans' holdings in section 28. Click on it for a larger image in a new window.
CLICK HERE for Andrew Kanten Land Patent Information
on the US Bureau of Land Management website
The Hans Alms and Andrew Kantens were double cousins.
Settling in Binford
Binford - about 1910
Original Plat Map of Binford
The Johnson Land Company of Iowa purchased a flax field owned by Gabriel Gabrielson. When the Northern Pacific laid its tracks in 1899, "Blooming Prairie" was born. The little village was renamed Binford after attorney Ray Binford of Charles City, Iowa, who handled the Land Company's purchase.
In the fall of 1899 a lumberyard and general store opened. The Maurer Hotel was built in 1900....and by 1905 Binford had all the accouterments of an up and coming North Dakota town! It boasted its own newspaper, a bank, grain elevator, a hardware store, two groceries, a couple of pool hall-bowling alleys, two churches, and various other establishments!
Binford - about 1925
Of the Alm children, only Oscar and Helen remained in Binford. None of the grandchildren lived in Binford as adults. Today there are no Alms living in Binford - but, whether they know it or not, a little piece of Binford lives in every Alm's heart.
Binford's "Skyline" - 2000
Small towns are an attitude
Toward helping one another.
Where each man finds special joy
In making glad the other.
A small town
thrives on kindly words
towns are an attitude
A small town
thrives on hayrack rides
is one of peace
Last Page Viewed